The minimum academic qualifications* required for Star Teachers programme are:
Original certificates for your degree and GCSE subjects or equivalents, will need to be brought with you to the interview. If you are in your final year of study, please enter a predicted grade.
*If your qualifications were not gained in the UK, you can visit the National Academic Register Centre (NARIC) website to find out whether your qualifications are considered to be equivalent to UK GCSEs and degrees.
It would be helpful if you have recent experience with children and learners to confirm your career choice, but this is not a prerequisite before applying to Star Teachers. We look for the potential to train to teach, for example excellent communication skills, team work, responding to feedback and flexibility.
All candidates will be required to complete Skills Tests in Numeracy and Literacy prior to starting the programme. This is a legal requirement. When you’re ready, you’ll need to book your tests with learndirect. The first three attempts are free and candidates will then need to pay thereafter. There is no longer a cap on the number of times the Professional Skills Tests need to be taken.
Before being accepted onto the course, all trainee teachers must satisfy the DfE requirements with regards to health and capacity to teach. You will be required to complete a confidential medical questionnaire if you are offered a place on our training course.
We are required by statutory guidance to make specific safeguarding checks on everyone we place in schools and we undertake the following documentary checks as part of our programme registration process.
We check your identity against the DBS approved list of documents, most commonly:
- Photo driving licence (UK)
- Utility bill or bank statement (dated in the last 3 months)
Right to Work in the UK
- Valid or Expired UK/EU passport or
- Non-EU passport with visa and Biometric Residence Permit or
- EU National ID card or
- Full UK birth certificate and NI number or
- Certificate of Naturalisation and NI number
Criminal Record Check
- Enhanced DBS Enclosure from Protocol Education dated within 12 months or
- Enhanced DBS Enclosure with valid Update Service subscription
- Overseas Police Check (where applicable)
- Checked as part the Enhanced DBS Check and then re-checked annually
Prohibition from Teaching Orders
- Checked against the DfE database
Childcare Disqualification (and Disqualification by Association)
- A signed declaration as part of the application process
Entry References (2 required)
- Most recent employer (from head, deputy or head of department)
- One other professional reference
- University tutor and references from school placements (work-based and volunteering)
- Non-school references and character references are accepted where you have not previously worked in schools.